HomeGrown in Floyd

Alert! Top Tomato Contest in Floyd this weekend at The Community Market at the Station. Click the image for larger version of the poster. Get your maters ready.

Alert! For the first time today, the SustainFloyd Refrigerated Truck will be stationed in the community–today and for the next 6 Wendesdays at Check Elementary on 221 toward Roanoke; and on Saturdays (I think also 3 to 6) at the Willis Mart area on 221 toward Hillsville.

And for those who want more or those who missed the first Market Breakfast, put September 22 on your calendar–same menu (with maybe some interesting additions), same folks plus some visitors, and same good time. Some 240 were fed on August 11, and I for one was filled with the warm fuzzies. Lotta fun!

To Market To Market

We’re expecting (maybe) a good soaking rain on Friday, then a cool, fall-like day for the Market Breakfast in Floyd. Good food, old and new friends, the smell of Red Rooster coffee and autumn in the air! What’s not to like?

Hope to see you there. And don’t forget to visit the MEMBERSHIP table. You may have been a SustainFloyd supporter, and donated time, money or ideas over the past couple of years. But only for the past month, SF has become a membership organization, and we would love to have your official involvement. Like the membership page says…

Join us in addressing global challenges at the local level. 

Forks Over Knives: Soup and No Snow (this time)

Our first real snow of 2012 didn't come until February 19

Before I forget, and you might have already done the same: Join us tomorrow night, February 25, at the Floyd Country Store for a soup and bread dinner (for donations) and the movie ($5) Forks Over Knives.  Find out more here. Movie starts at 7:00, come sooner for soup! The last two movies were meteorologically threatened, Economics of Happiness by a snow that started during the movie, and BUCK by ferocious winds and sub-zero chill factors. None of that seems likely for this movie, so do plan to come if you can.

And here’s one more snow picture. Yes, I’ve got a bunch that are more or less like this. But the difference hangs in that “more or less”: I do not and never will have another where the light is just as it is here. The “onceness” of photography is part of its magic for me.

Click the image or this link to enlarge the image, which you really must do for ANY landscape to begin to get a sense of scale, proportion and perspective.

Oct 19: Speaking at The Wednesday Club

Goose Creek Mill Dam near confluence with Bottom Creek

I’m very much looking forward to special opportunity to share my photography and writing with a receptive audience in Danville on Wednesday, October 19.

This will be my 2nd visit to the Wednesday cCub––a women’s organization that has a long history and a large and active body of members.

My first engagement was in October 2007, and I offered then what I called a “visual essay” consisting of the reading of three essays (on relationship to place, children and nature, and natural history) and the simultaneous viewing of few dozen related images projected during the readings. It was well received by more than 100 people in the audience.

This year, the emphasis will also be on photography, with a presentation called “Nothing Ordinary: the Aesthetics of Place in Language and Light.” During the 30 min. presentation, after some brief introductory remarks to put the photography in the larger context of my writing and thinking, an uninterrupted 14 minute digital photographic series will feature some 100 images, with pleasing transitions and Celtic–Appalachian instrumental music that adds to the aesthetic impact of the program. A brief discussion will follow, and I will be available to sign books and chat with guests. Twenty photographic notecards will be on display and for sale.

The event is open to the public. The presentation begins at 3:45. The location is the Wednesday club, located at 1002 Main Street in Danville, Virginia.

Please consider coming, and tell anyone you know in that area to come with you!

The first person (as if there will be dozens!) to tell me or someone at the books-and-notecards table that you read about this meeting at Fragments from Floyd can claim a free notecard.

Creek Jots ~ 26 Sept

Chicken-of-the-Woods shelf fungus and other market faire

* Good thing we foraged the wild grapes last week. The tame ones within the garden stockade all disappeared in one night, not a one on the ground, every one in a coon belly. I hope they got a belly ache, considering all the hours I spent during the prolonged drought, watering and fertilizing, only to feed the wildlife. And so it goes.

Organic: Not entirely next year. I will have to do something–rotenone at least–to hold back the bean beetles. They were horrible this year. And something ate our usually dependable Swiss Chard to laced doilies. Our soil stays cold so long in this deep valley that we can’t plant early to beat the insect hoards. This is not an ideal place for self-sufficiency. But it is what we have; it is wonderful in so many ways; and we have Sweet Providence and the community market to make up for what we fail to grow.

* The market breakfast was great this year, the first for which SustainFloyd has attempted to do the cooking. We will most definitely be doing this again next year, no so much for raising funds (especially if you factor in the  unpaid cost of all the wonderful volunteered hours) but because it is a great excuse to visit and have a meal with folks you wouldn’t ordinarily sit to table with. It feels like community.

* Last night we had the “chicken of the woods” mushroom that Ann bought at the market Saturday. Some of the mushroom books describe it as “edible choice” and others as “not distinctive” but in the spaghetti last night, the texture was wonderful and its mild flavor very pleasant. We’ll find some for free on a tree near home.

* I was encouraged to go mushroom foraging after talking with a friend at church who has been seeing lots of honeycaps and “slippery jack” mushrooms in his surveying work lately. I didn’t find much, but do have at least an image a day this week to share—after a long dry period with the camera. Stay tuned!

* I keep hoping the single bat over our pasture this summer will gain some companions. Bats do not live singly under normal circumstance, but our lone bat at dusk seems to have lost–or out-survived–his colony. Other folks report normal bat activity in their parts of Floyd County. White Nose Syndrome cause and cure is nowhere in sight. Last night, the migrating green darner dragonflies didn’t put a dent in the swirling population of gnats, midges and flying aphids in their last hurrah.  We need the bats, creepy and unlovely as they may seem to some people.

Enhanced by Zemanta