August 17, 2003

Things that Go Bump in the Night

Headache, Dizziness, Confusion, Ringing ears, Vision disturbance, Loss of balance, Memory loss (amnesia), Difficulty concentrating, Difficulty concentrating, Difficulty concentrating...

...signs of concussion. I am certain I experienced a mild one this morning, according to the categories of severity. I am happy to sitting here and able to Google the condition, find out there seems to be nothing too serious, and write about it. There for a half hour, I was not sure I wouldn't be in an E.R. with a sleepy intern shining a bright light in my eyes, having me count his fingers and taping various tendons with a pointy rubber hammer. But here I sit. And the most important thing: the puppy is okay. I didn't drop the puppy.

As for surviving the first night with Tsuga, I'd have to say it coulda been worse. Even though we had not had much time to acclimate him to his little pet carrier crate, after about 10 minutes of various vocalizations imitating sea gulls, he hushed and slept, more or less, until 2:30. He and I had a quick walk in the wet grass for a prolonged dewatering, and after another bout of howling, he slept until about 5:00 this morning. I was going to let Ann sleep, so grabbed the pup and started out through the lower level of the house, closing the bedroom door on my way out. I stepped up the two steps that go up in to the 'upper level'. What I had forgotten in my groggy sleep-deprived state and could not see in the dark was the 2 x 6' piece of thin paneling we had put across the doorway to keep pupster confined in the rugless part of the house.

Of course when my feet hit the board, there was nowhere for them to go. I remember a sudden bright light as my head hit the door jamb and the realization that we had a problem, Houston. I sat on the top step with the dog in my arms, telling Ann "Yes, I'm fine" knowing this was not exactly true but temporarily losing my orientation, able only to sit and see what had happened. There was a period of wifely catastrophizing during which I continued to sit in a clammy cold sweat, her anxious face coming and going and my awareness coming back enough to think "this may be the big one, Martha". Apparently it was not. Other than a busted nose and various lacerations and contusions, I am in about the same sorry state I was in before the fall, and at least lucid enough to compose this little word cluster about the memorable second day of Tsuga's life on Goose Creek.

Meanwhile, I hear our new boarder in the next room, doing his choirboy imitation in which he throws his head back, shapes his mouth into a perfect "O" and howls for no apparent reason other than that for one brief instant, he must not be the very center of the known universe. I guess I'd better get in there and rectify that deplorable situation. And I will make certain to step OVER the barrier this time. Maybe I should consider protective head gear until Tsuga has me house trained.

Posted by fred1st at August 17, 2003 07:34 AM | TrackBack

Thanks for the picture, he is too cute.Maybe you should get a nightlight in your room for safety's sake. Ya'll take care and see ya in about 2 weeks.

Posted by: Liska at August 17, 2003 08:35 AM

Fred--I thought you told me you avoided wild parties these days! Please be careful, and take it easy for a while. Tea's good for these occasions...

Posted by: Pica at August 17, 2003 10:20 AM

Tsuga will thank you for providing a tale that he can pass down to his grand-progeny. You'll be sore, tomorrow, perhaps; but, you seem to have retained most of your corporeal form. Your first night with Tsuga must count as a success--the three of you survived it!

Posted by: Cop Car at August 17, 2003 01:05 PM

Hey Fred, Sorry to hear about your tumble. Don't mess around if you have any lingering symptoms. I'm going to have to hide your page from the family until the cute puppy picture is no longer front and center. They are all leaving me animal pictures and strong hints about wanting a pet. I'm still too close to the diaper days to want to start in with a puppy again.

Posted by: punctiliousu at August 17, 2003 07:15 PM

Jeepers Fred...I did the same thing in the middle of the night seeking a bottle of water...forgot the puppy gate was there and went a** over tea kettle onto the kitchen floor.

Today Harley split the SU's lower lip open with the top of his head while they were playing frisbee.

Its always something. ;-)

Posted by: feste at August 17, 2003 07:22 PM

Jeez, the place bloggers are dropping like flies! Fred, take it easy! Sorry to hear about this and glad you're OK.

Posted by: beth at August 18, 2003 09:42 AM

Broken nose????

Man, those puppies are hazardous to your health. Hope you're not too miserable today.

Posted by: Pascale Soleil at August 18, 2003 11:37 AM

Post a comment

Remember Me?